It’s hard to discern an “all star” list of must-do or must-see adventures in Alaska’s National Parks this summer, but I’m gonna give it a shot. Here’s the punchline, tho’: every single one of these must-see items is 2-for-1 ONLY when you have a copy of the Great Alaskan TourSaver (available online for $99.95):
Here’s a shot of me “on assignment” on the Ruth Glacier with my point-n-shoot camera. On the left is my sister-in-law, Kim. She cannot believe I’m actually “working”. HA.
10. Lake Clark National Park. Take the Turquoise to Twin Traverse with Alaska Alpine Adventures. Not only is the park a stunning slice of wilderness…Alaska Alpine Adventures is a nationally-recognized tour company. They really do a great job. Your adventure includes air fare from Anchorage, meals, accommodations and activities. Watch for wildlife, fish, explore, hike–this is an incredible trip. 2-fo-1 with the TourSaver coupon.
9. New lodge in Kenai Fjords National Park. Join Alaska Wildland Adventures in their all-new lodge near Aialik Glacier. Your trip starts with a glacier cruise. Then, you can kayak, hike, explore to your heart’s content in this incredible park. Meals, activities, accommodations and your boat tour are included. Wow.2-for-1 with the TourSaver book. Feeling crabby? Plenty of company at the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward. Check this photo below. It’s a MUST-SEE prior to or following your Kenai Fjords National Park adventure.
8. Glacier Hike in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. This is the nation’s largest national park. St. Elias Guides takes you on a glacier hike right in the heart of it. Stay overnight at the Kennicott Glacier Lodge. Explore the historic mining district–and whet your appetite for incredible adventures in the park! 2-for-1 with the TourSaver coupon. Here’s a shot from one of our adventures last summer on a glacier in the park:
7. Tour of the Valley of the 10,000 Smokes in Katmai National Park. I could go on and on about Katmai National Park. I often do. Suffice it to say this is a memorable trip. Start at Brooks Lodge near Brooks River Falls (think B-e-a-r-s-!). This all-day tour takes you to the heart of a vulcanologist’s dream: looking out over the valley covered by volcanic ash in 1912. Hike around and see how the water of the Ukak River cut a mini-Grand Canyon through the soft pumice. Don’t miss it. 2-for-1 with the TourSaver coupon. Here’s a shot:
6. Denali Flightseeing. Wow. Take a ski plane from Talkeetna Airport and see Mt. McKinley up close. These are the same planes used by mountain climbers to ferry their gear up to the base camp on the mountain. Land on a glacier. Take a lot of pictures. Here’s one:
We used a shot from this trip for our Christmas card a couple of years ago. Wow. 2-for-1 with your TourSaver coupon.
5. Glacier Bay Cruise. It’s one thing to stay at a lodge in a national park. It’s quite another thing to get out and see what the park is all about! Glacier Bay National Park has the perfect package. First, you get 2-for-1 on Wings of Alaska air transportation from Juneau. Next, you get 2-for-1 on an incredible package that includes overnight accommodations at the lodge, transfers from the airport and the day-long cruise into the heart of Glacier Bay. Incredible. I’ve done the tour. Fantastic. We saw big chunks of ice about the size of a cruise ship falling off the face of the glacier right in front of us. We saw black bear, brown bear, sea lions, porpoise, eagles, puffins, otters, whales and much more on the cruise. And, yes, it’s 2-for-1 with your TourSaver coupon.
4. Denali Park Resorts. Choose from four different hotels near the park entrance. You’re up-close for a tour into the park on one of the shuttle buses. Or, take a 2-for-1 helicopter flightseeing tour by Era Helicopters. There’s even a 2-for-1 coupon for “Alaska Cabin Nite” Dinner Theater. The lodging is 2-for-1 with your TourSaver book.
3. Bears Bears Bears. Fly with Kodiak’s Island Air Service to see bears that are feasting on Pink Salmon. This tour is available after July 4 to coincide with the salmon run. And yes–the trip is 2-for-1. Oh, this tour does not fly into Katmai National Park (although Island Air does offer trips to the park). But I still think it’s worth seeing! That’s especially true since it’s 2-for-1. Here’s a shot. OK OK, this is NOT the plane you’ll fly to see the bears. But we got some great air-to-air shots on our way back from bear viewing. Nice day for a flight over Zachar Bay, eh? HA!
2. Historic Skagway Inn and Jewell Gardens. Both the Skagway Inn and Jewell Gardens are in the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park. Learn all about the gold rush. In fact, you can take the White Pass and Yukon Rail Tour up the pass. Or, feel free to hike the Chilkat Trail–just like the thousands of miners did in 1898! We love Skagway–you will, too. Here’s a shot of Alicia and Tammy–who just HAD to hike the trail. It was a mother-daughter thing…Alicia’s 21st birthday:
Side note: Do you think the miners in 1898 were as perky when they reached the summit in the snow and fog? Hmm. I think not. HAHA.
1. National Park Cruise into Kenai Fjords National Park. Not only will you see glaciers. Keep your camera ready to see whales, porpoise, puffins, eagles, goats, moose, sea lions and so much more. Big ice. Big critters and big savings with the TourSaver book, which offers a 2-for-1 deal on the cruise! Here’s a shot:
That’s our short-list, folks. Plenty of reasons to spend more time in Alaska, especially if you can get the best deals 2-for-1. Only with the Great Alaskan TourSaver. Only $99.95 online.
Share this Post